Quality of life in the Aloha State can’t be beat. But neither can costs, which are the highest in the nation.
|Cost of Doing Business||45||50||50|
|Quality of Life||295||1||1|
|Technology & Innovation||90||38||36 (Tie)|
|Cost of Living||2||50||50|
|Access to Capital||14||37||37|
- Governor: David Ige, Democrat
- Population: 1,431,603
- GDP growth: 1.7 percent
- Unemployment rate (May 2016): 3.2 percent
- Top corporate tax rate: 6.4 percent
- Top individual income tax rate: 8.25 percent
- Gasoline tax: 60.39 cents/gallon
- Bond rating/outlook: Aa2, positive
- Major private employers: Bank of Hawaii, Corp., Hawaiian Electric Industries Inc.
Economic profile sources: U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Federation of Tax Administrators, American Petroleum Institute, Moody’s Investor Service, S&P