My apologies, as I try to avoid bothering people over the weekend — however this is extremely important.
FYI I have some connections to the Trump transition team, and (as you can tell from news stories), things are moving along quite quickly.
I’ve made up a list of some major issues that need addressing, in the 3-E areas where I’m primarily focusing my efforts: Energy, Environment and Education.
Some of What Needs to Be Fixed in Three E’s
- Change national energy slogan to: “All of the Sensible”
- Terminate special renewable subsidies (e.g. PTC and ITC)
- Change grid rules that give wind and solar favorable treatment
- Cancel the “Clean Power Plan”
- Eliminate (or fundamentally change) NREL
- Constrain FERC’s unscientific bias towards renewables
- Fix the NDAA so that military has better protections from turbines
- Allow US nuclear plants to use reprocessed fuel
- Fast-track Thorium (LFTR) reactors as an energy source
- Fast-track Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) as an energy source
- Approve Yucca Mt as an acceptable repository for used nuclear fuel
- End all ethanol subsidies and favoritism
- Seriously investigate Deep-Drilled Geothermal as an energy source
- Appoint a balanced Science Committee to hash out the AGW issue
- Challenge and reverse Supreme Court Massachusetts vs EPA case
- Make EPA’s basis for Endangerment Findings genuinely scientific
- Send the Paris Agreement to the Senate for ratification
- Eliminate the Sea Level Rise (SLR) provision in Biggert-Waters-12
- Substantially revise Common Core (with focus on real Science)
- Pass a reasonable School Choice measure
- Do a much better job with Vocational Education
- Reduce federal funding to any college that politicizes Science
Across the Board on the 3 E’s
- All three of these federal agencies should be redefined and reduced
- Review all recent Executive Orders/Memoranda. Change as needed.
- Require that all technical policies be genuinely Science based
- Weaken the influence of lobbyists on legislators
- Reduce the reliance on computer models
Please review my draft version of this list and let me know:
- Any suggested improvements/additions to the list, and
- Any recommended people you have to head the DOE, EPA, or Dept of Ed.
I’ll update the list as new key items are forwarded, so periodically check it.
PS: As one of my teachers was fond of saying “I’m just a little clog in a big wheel” so what will result from all this is anyone’s guess. However, from what I’ve heard so far, I’m cautiously optimistic. I also believe that when faced with a problem, doing something is better than doing nothing.
PPS: As always, please pass this on to open-minded citizens, and on your social media sites. If there are others who you think would benefit from being on our energy & environmental email list, please let me know. If at any time you’d like to be taken off the list, simply send me an email saying that.