The North Port Art Center (NPAC) is attempting to bring the first public piece of art to Sarasota County. The sculpture is called “Mandalas for World Peace.” Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning “circle.” In the Buddhist and Hindu religious traditions sacred art often takes a mandala form.
The large clay sculpture was designed by clay artist and NPAC instructor John Cheer. The sculpture will be executed by Cheer and 17 other clay artists. It is proposed to be displayed at Warm Mineral Springs, FL, which is public property jointly owned by the City of North Port and the County of Sarasota.
At the center of the sculpture (artists rendering shown below) is the “peace symbol”, or “Nero Cross”, which is considered by Christians and Jews alike as the symbol of the anti-Christ.
The history of the peace symbol follows:
The peace symbol dates back to ancient times.The fifth and final Roman emperor of the Julio-Claudian dynasty, Nero (born Lucius Domitius Ahenabarbus 37 – 68 AD), is remembered in history for persecuting Christians. Nero’s rule was so wicked he even had his mother executed. The First Roman-Jewish War (66 – 70 AD) started during his reign and today the term “Nero Cross” [today’s peace symbol] is the symbol of the “broken Jew” or “broken cross.”
Anti-religious and satanic groups use the “Nero Cross” or inverted “Latin Cross” to symbolize everything opposite of Christianity. Today this is clearly illustrated by “black metal” or heavy metal music lyrics and imagery that communicate anti-Christian sentiments. An album cover for the black metal group, Mayhem, displays the “peace symbol or Nero Cross” on an album cover. Film makers have reinforced the notion that the upside down cross is an anti-Christian symbol as illustrated by The Omen in 1976 and The Exorcism of Emily Rose in 2005.
During WWII the “peace symbol” was used by Hitler’s 3rd Panzer Division from 1941 to 1945. The image is the regimental 3rd Panzer Division symbol. Soviet, Polish, and Hungarian citizens, having suffered from the Nazi massacres, undoubtedly struggle with use of the symbol as a thoughtful way to communicate peace. The symbol can also be found on some of Hitler’s SS soldiers’ tombstones.
Finally, the symbol was revitalized by the UK artist and anti-war advocate Gerald Herbert Holtom (1914 – 1985). Holtom is credited with creating this now popular symbol on February 21, 1958 as part of the nuclear disarmament movement. The symbol combines the the naval code semaphore with the symbol representing the code letters for “N” and “D” (nuclear disarmament).
Bertrand Russell (1872 – 1970), a philosopher, historian, mathematician, and a member of the Direct Action Committee against Nuclear War, supported using the peace symbol globally. Russell’s interest in the peace symbol becomes visible when you know he was a member of the British Fabian Socialist Society, a secret society advocating a New World Order.
The symbol was imported into the United States in 1960 by Philip Altbach, a freshman at the University of Chicago. Altbach had traveled to England to meet with British peace groups as a delegate from the Student Peace Union (SPU) and on his return he persuaded the SPU to adopt the symbol. The SPU joined with the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) to hold anti-war protests in Washington, D.C. in 1962. The SDS gave birth to the Weather Underground movement co-founded by 1960 era domestic terrorists Bill Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn.
During the 1980s the “peace movement” was supported and funded by the Soviet KGB. Following the large peace demonstrations in Europe in October and November 1981, Ronald Reagan said of the peace movement, “[T]hose are all sponsored by a thing called the World Peace Council, which is bought and paid for by the Soviet Union.”
The City of North Port and Sarasota County Commission are considering and will vote on whether to allow construction of this controversial sculpture.