Numerous sciences support the biblical account of creation. History, culture and the greatest men of intellect and character also support creation and a chronology of 6,000 years.
Pat Robertson of the 700 Club said on TV, “you have to be deaf, dumb and blind to think that this Earth that we live in only has 6,000 years of existence.” He might be right if he meant inorganic rocks when “earth was without form” in Genesis 1:2 before God created according to the rest of the chapter.
But if Robertson meant life on earth existed many thousands or millions of years ago, Robertson may be ignorant—either uninformed or ignoring evidence from numerous branches of science, as well as the best historical records we have, the Bible and the witness of Christ.
1. Astronomy: “May 5, 2000: The date that Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn will line up with the sun and moon—the first time in 6,000 years.” TIME Magazine, Jan 17, 2000. This quote from the European edition supports biblical chronology dating the Creation (when God put “lights in the sky for signs and seasons,” Genesis 1:14) to 4,000 years BC.
2. Sir Isaac Newton, one of the greatest intellects of all times, known for his laws of physics and development of calculus, was also an excellent student of Scripture. His chronology of the Bible puts the earth at 6,000 years after Creation on the same year as the above factoid from TIME.
3. Archeology is a science and findings in the Mesopotamia support Genesis as a factual book of history by finding references to Abraham’s grandfather, Eber, from which we get the word Hebrew.
4. Anthropology supports the biblical account of the creation week because cultures worldwide have observed a 7-day week from antiquity, and many languages refer to the 7th day as sabbath, shabbat, sabado or similar.
5. Geology supports the Flood in Genesis as a basis for glaciers and ice at the poles and Grand Canyon phenomena. For more, the reader may browse the Creation-Evolution Encyclopedia online.
6. Genesis was written by Moses, a credible source of law as the central sculpture over the Supreme Court entrance suggests. Would we expect Moses who wrote “You shall not bear a false witness” to write a fictional account of the Flood or of Creation?
7. What about the 4th Commandment which says, “in six days the LORD made heaven and earth…” and gave us the 7th day as a memorial of His creative act. Do we think Christ knew better and He just went along with a Jewish thing to observe the Sabbath that the Jews kept?
8. Abraham Lincoln wrote, “In regard to the great book…It is the best gift God has given to man. But for it, we would not know right from wrong. I am profitably engaged in reading the Bible. Take all of this book upon reason that you can and the rest by faith, and you will live and die a better man.”
Dr. Florence Stratemeyer, Professor of Education at Columbia University’s Teacher College reviewed Ellen White’s book, “Education” and eulogized her insights on a balanced curriculum to address the whole person, body, mind and spirit. The book’s chapter on Science and the Bible supports harmony of science rightly interpreted with the biblical account and shows serious problems with evolution, pg 130. Having done homeschooling, Education is the best basic support for it that I know.
I attended a conference in Washington, D.C. with hundreds of scientists who believe the biblical account of Creation. My website offers further information this topic at http://chooseabetterdestiny.com click on the 2nd link in the right column. You may also sign up for a free daily email at: http://www.creationmoments.com/ (bottom right).