Mike Bates and I interviewed Ann Corcoran, editor of the Refugee Resettlement Watch blog on 1330 AM WEBY’s “Your Turn’ program, Tuesday, May 12, 2015. Corcoran is the author of “Refugee Resettlement and the Hijra to America .“ We noted early in the interview the importance of Hijra (immigration in Arabic) as a doctrinal imperative for Muslims in one of the Hadith (sayings of Mohammed) according to a reliable commentator, Bukhari:
There can be no Hijra (migration) after the conquest but Jihad and a desire or an intention, and if you settle then spread out.
For more see: Modern Day Trojan Horse: Al-Hijra, the Islamic Doctrine of Immigration, Accepting Freedom or Imposing Islam? By Sam Solomon and E. Al Maqdisi.
The focus of our discussion was on rising concerns over Muslim refugee resettlement under the billion dollar secretive US Refugee Admission Program that has operated under the virtual radar screen for 35 years. These concerns have arisen since the Refugee Act of 1980 was passed and signed into law by former President Jimmy Carter. The law was introduced by the late Sen. Edward Kennedy and then Senator, and now Obama Vice President, Joe Biden. Based on the interview, Corcoran believes that it is overdue for a major overhaul and reform. By virtue of admitting thousands of potential Jihadis among refugees from Muslims lands, the program constitutes a significant national security risk.
Watch Corcoran’s Center for Security Policy You Tube video which has gone viral since its posting on April 20, 2015 with 236,748 hits at last count.
Here are some takeaways from the 1330 AM WEBY interview with Corcoran:
- The UN High Commissioner for Refugees “calls the shots” on the annual allotment of 70,000 refugees that the State Department sends a Presidential Directive to Capitol Hill in Washington, DC to be ‘rubber stamped’ by Senate and House Subcommittees on Immigration and Border Security.
- The Congress has never exercised effective oversight of the Refugee Admissions program through hearings and recommendations leading to changes in countries of origin under UN allotments.
- The Refugee Admissions Program has been used punitively against political critics. One example is the assignment of large numbers of Somali refugees to the Congressional District of former US Rep. Michelle Bachmann in St. Cloud, Minnesota
- Nearly 400,000 refugees admitted to the US under this State Department program funded by taxpayers came from “countries that hate us”: Somalia, Iraq, Bosnia and soon, Syria;
- Hundreds of terrorists have entered the US as refugees, many fraudulently, whose backgrounds are impossible to run background checks as their countries of origin are virtual failed states;
- Among examples of refugee Jihads caught are:
Dozens of Somaliémigré youths arrested and charged with material support for terrorism by attempting or leaving to join Al Shabaab in war torn Somalia or the Islamic State in Syria;
Iraqi Al Qaeda operatives admitted because of fraudulent representations who were convicted of trying to attemptingto ship weapons and funds to Al Qaeda and only caught when fingerprints were found on shards of an IED that killed four Pennsylvania National Guardsmen in Iraq;
The Brothers Tsarneav who perpetrated the Boston Marathon Bombing that killed three and one MIT police officer, injuring over 263, some maimed for life.
- Rampant fraud was detected from DNA samples among Somali applicants under the State Department Family Reunification P-3 Visa Program resulting in the shutdown of the program for three years. 20,000 fraudulently admitted Somali refugees were never pursued to eject them.
- Given the world’s attention on the problem of illegal migrants crossing the Mediterranean, the State Department Refugee program let in to the US thousands of Somalis who fled to the Island of Malta without any clearances.
- Endangered Middle East Christians are effectively discriminated against for refugee status, because they do not reside in UNHCR camps, dominated by Sunni Muslims. Of the initial group of Syrian refugees brought into the US, 92 percent were Muslims, with the balance Christian.
- There are upwards of 17,000 Syrians refugees in the UNHCR pipeline awaiting processing for admission to the US.
- The State Department contracts with 9 religious and special interest NGOs who place refugees through a network of 350 contractors and compete for significant processing fees and grants for obtaining citizenship.
- Refugees are legal immigrants and thus have access to a smorgasbord of cash assistance, Medicaid, educational support that run into billions of costs all funded by US taxpayers.
- The Federal Office of Refugee Resettlement has a contract with a Soros-backed immigration advocacy group, “Welcoming America,” to go into ‘pockets of resistance’ in local communities targeted for refugee allotments.
- Local communities have virtually no say or review of refugee placements to assess local burden on schools, medical facilities or assisted housing. That has led Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) to write Secretary Kerry to put a hold on refugees slated for his district until resettlement questions are answered.
EDITORS NOTE: This column originally appeared in the New English Review.