As they circle the drain, Western societies increasingly start to seem like parodies of real civilizations. It’s as if, to twist Shakespeare’s famous line, all the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players in a really bad comedy that won’t get past its first season. The latest chapter is a Finnish anti-rape video that, writes Jihad Watch’s Robert Spencer, teaches women that all they “have to do to keep from being raped is turn around, hold out their hand in a ‘halt’ gesture and say ‘Stop!’”
The video, shown below, portrays a woman being approached from behind by a man who appears to be a native Finn (maybe Huck Finn?) because, as we all know, Finnish men have suddenly decided to start preying on their women. The fact that the rising rate of sexual assault and concern about it coincide with the influx of Muslims into Finland is purely coincidental, I tell ya’.
In the video, the woman holds up her hand assertively shouting “Stop!” or “No!” and the alleged rapist backs off, completely cowed. Of course, though, I can’t speak Finnish, so I’m taking Spencer’s word for it on what’s being related in the video. But other possibilities do suggest themselves. Perhaps the women is,
- using a Jedi mind trick: “No, you don’t want to rape me. You don’t want to rape me. You don’t want to rape me,” prompting the miscreant to back off, confused and repeating trance-like, “I don’t want to rape you.”
- is saying, “I’ve told you thrice already, I don’t have the time!”
- is telling her boyfriend, “No, Sven, I’m not going to show this video to the authorities and back up your claim you’re a Muslim migrant just so you can get more government benefits!”
- is stating, “I don’t care if you’re going to visit San Francisco. You can’t borrow this purse.”
- is protesting, “Don’t tell me where to go, that I shouldn’t walk into the Arab section. That’s patriarchal and Islamophobic!”
When the woman performs her arm movements, she also reminds me of a stewardess (if this offends people who now insist on the term “flight attendant,” good!) giving the pre-flight explanation of how to use the inflatable life jacket under your seat. And, interestingly, the kind of people likely to accost a woman in Finland can also be voted most likely to bring down an airplane.
It appears that Nordic countries are competing hard for the Darwin Award. Sweden currently is the top contender, but the others aren’t giving up on the race to the bottom. And whether it’s Sweden, Norway or some other land that reaches the nadir first, it’s not unreasonable to say they’re all Finnished.