First let me begin my column with a confession: When I was in college I was a JFK Democrat!
President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was a decorated combat war veteran, charismatic, had a beautiful wife and family, was a hawk who hated Communism (remember the 13 days in October, 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis), was a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association and JFK was what would now be considered a conservative in economic and social policies. JFK was also wealthy, a Catholic, like me, and had affairs with various women including Marilyn Monroe. JFK was not a perfect man but he was the perfect man for the job of President during a difficult time.
Here are my ten reasons, all based upon personal experiences well before the election of Donald J. Trump, why I would never, ever vote for a Democrat:
- I served in the U.S. Army as an officer from 1967 until 1990. I served under Presidents Lyndon B. Johnston (D), Richard Nixon (R), Gerald Ford (R), Jimmy Carter (D), Ronald Reagan (R) and George H.W. Bush (R). I served under two Democrat presidents and four Republican presidents. The best years for the U.S. military were the years under a Republican president. The worst president during my time in service was Jimmy Carter, remember the Iran Hostage Crisis, failed Desert 1 rescue attempt and fuel shortages (even the Army felt the lack of fuel). I remember during the Carter years we had to tow our howitzers to firing points near our motor pool because we didn’t have the diesel fuel needed to move them any further.
- I was stationed in Augsburg, Germany in from 1970 to 1973 when the terrorist Black September Organization, Arabic Aylūl al-Aswad, a faction of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO), attacked the Olympic Village in Munich, Germany on September 5-6, 1972. My unit was called out to provide additional security at the Olympic Village after the attack. I learned a harsh lesson that day, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to stopping the followers of Mohammed.
- While stationed in Germany we were confronted by another terrorist organization know as the Red Army Faction, also known as the Baader–Meinhof Group or Baader–Meinhof Gang. The Baader–Meinhof Gang was a West German far-left militant organization founded in 1970. The Baader–Meinhof Gang were killing public officials, robbing banks, attacking places frequented by U.S. Army soldiers and kidnapping both German politicians and the children of Americans stationed in Germany. What is most interesting is that both the Black September Organization and Baader–Meinhof Gang were trained by the PLO.
- The Iran Hostage Crisis ended on the day Ronald Reagan was elected President of the United States on January 21, 1981. The hostages were released just a few hours after President Reagan’s inauguration address.
- In early 1970s we in the military did not make the connection between the Communists and radical Islamists. This error would result in more deaths during each of the years after President Reagan’s inauguration. Perhaps the most devastating event occurred on October 23, 1983, when two truck bombs struck the Khobar Towers in Beirut, Lebanon. A hotel housing American Marines and French service members of the Multinational Force in Lebanon, a military peacekeeping operation during the Lebanese Civil War. The suspected perpetrators were Hezbollah, along with some Iranian and Syrian involvement. President Reagan made the decision to leave Lebanon rather than confront Hezbollah, Syria and Iran. Sound familiar today?
- In 1991, one year after I retired, President H.W. Bush decided to attack Iraq after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. I watched this event with great interest. American forces were pre-positioned along with allied forces set to invade Iraq. The operation was wildly successful, with one exception. President H.W. Bush stopped the war before he toppled Saddam Hussein. This was a major blunder that would eventually lead to his son George W. Bush’s second invasion in 2003.
- The second invasion of Iraq was based on a faulty CIA intelligence report that Saddam Hussein had “weapons of mass destruction.” After the invasion and toppling of Saddam and his sons, no weapons of mass destruction were found. I asked myself if the CIA purposefully mislead President Bush and his Secretary of State Colin Powell, which became a front page news story, leading to the election of Barack Obama. Was the CIA, and others in the intelligence community, showing themselves as the “deep state”? Able to wrongfully take America to war and impact the election of the next president?
- During the eight years of the Obama presidency I began to see clearly that various departments of the federal government were being used against America’s allies and against Americans who disagreed with the policies implemented by the Democrats in Congress and pushed by Obama. I also began to see the Obama administration use its powers to silence those who criticized what had been enemies of America, e.g. Iran. I began to see our military depleted as I personally experienced during the Carter years. I began to wonder what should I do about this movement to appease our enemies and attack our friends and allies.
- The growing support of a one world order became a focus of my efforts to try to understand what was happening both within the American body politic and globally. The rush by the Obama administration to embrace the Paris Climate Accord, push the deeply flawed Iranian Nuclear Deal and the massive effort to use our public education system down to K-12 to promote socialist policies began to bother me. I was just thankful that my grandchildren were being homeschooled.
- Finally, I see what is happening today in Washington, D.C. The concerted effort by one party to take away the peoples choice for president. This is the culmination of what I have been in fear of, a Communist (red) and Islamist (green) alliance to destroy our Constitutional Republican form of government. I fear for my people.
I am on the mailing lists for every Democrat PAC, committee, caucus, elected official and candidate for president. What I see on a daily basis is a constant barrage of emails calling for the elimination of the Electoral College, the desire to elect more LGBT candidates, like the bisexual former Rep. Katie Hill who resigned just four days ago, the fear that President Trump will replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, the hate for Susan Collins because she voted in favor of Justice Bret Kavanaugh, the hate for Senator Lindsey Graham because he is putting strict constructionist judges into our federal courts, the hate for Senator Mitch McConnell for not going along with the “impeachment process”, whatever that means.
Over my life time I have seen the Democratic Party become the Party of Marx and Mohammed, a growing Red/Green alliance among the Democrat progressive caucus. I have seen the party that elected JFK devolve into the party of BHO. I have witnessed things that I would never have thought possible. Things like: police officers deliberately targeted by black assassins, our schools become propaganda arms of the socialists, our libraries hosting LGBT reading hours for small children, and the likelihood that the Obama administration spied on a duly elected president. Finally, I have seen Democrat candidates for president care more about illegal aliens than American citizens, a party who’s platform is based on hating America and those Americans who do not agree with them and their policies.
We are in a pivotal moment in history. I know this sounds corny but it is never the less true. Great institutions like the Boy Scouts of America and Catholic Church have been destroyed by the gay rights political correctness radicals. I am seeing the growth of Big Digital and Corporate Marxism that wants to control the individual in ways never thought possible.
I am living in an era where good is evil and evil is now public policy. A world where God has been replaced by government in Western societies. Where Islam continues to move forward in its mandate to rule the world by all means necessary.
However, there are lights in all of this darkness. Kanye West has become a born again Christian. Populism is on the rise and freedom is now taken to the streets of places like Hong Kong.
There is hope for my grandchildren. There is hope for America, that shining light upon a hill. It’s that hope for a better future that makes me understand that I can never, ever vote for a Democrat. Period.