The Tenth Commandment: “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.” – Exodus 20:15
What is the deadliest of sins?
This is a question that many of us ask every day. Is the deadliest sin murder, rape, stealing, adulatory or lying?
The deadliest sin is COVETING.
Why? Because Coveting leads to all of the other sins. Let’s look at the Ten Commandments to understand how the Tenth Commandment (coveting) allows each of us to defile the other Nine Commandments.
- First Commandment: You shall have no other gods before Me. Coveting oneself, our earthly desires, over God is in reality coveting your body, not the Holy Spirit.
- Second Commandment: You shall make no idols. When we worship idols then we begin to covet these idols over God and His Son. This leads to the death of the soul.
- Third Commandment: You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. When you hear someone curse, as in rap music or in films or videos, then you are hearing that person covet evil versus good.
- Fourth Commandment: Keep the Sabbath day holy. If you do not attend church then you are coveting your time over giving time to listen to the word of God delivered by a priest, pastor or rabbi.
- Fifth Commandment: Honor your father and your mother. This is a two way street. If your father and or your mother abandon you. Or you abandon and disrespect your father or mother then you have sinned against God. Honoring family is a sacred duty.
- Sixth Commandment: You shall not murder. Murder is truly a deadly sin. Taking another’s life, other than in self-defense, is coveting that person’s life.
- Seventh Commandment: You shall not commit adultery. Breaking one’s marriage vows is a deadly sin. It kills a relationship, a family and a person’s worth.
- Eight Commandment: You shall not steal. Stealing or robbery takes from another to enrich oneself. This destroys both the person who has had something of value taken and it creates a criminal.
- Ninth Commandment: Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. Bearing false witness is coveting in that is takes away the truth and presents a lie to others as if it were the truth. This lying has become the new “woke” normal in the media, social media and within communities. Lying is lying. Truth is truth.
Coveting another God, coveting idols, cursing the name of God, not going to church with your family, not honoring your family, murdering another, stealing from someone and lying are all violations of the Tenth Commandment.
The bedrock of any culture is based upon a belief in one God (monotheism). A rejection of idols such as government or worshiping at the alter of the earth (environmentalism). Using curse words in our homes, communities, in films (like Pulp Fiction), on social media and in public is wrong and destroys our Republic. Church attendance is a necessary component of a faithful people. Our founding fathers understood that In God We Trust as a people.
Murder, adultery (and divorce), robbery and lying are all symptoms of both a soul-less person and a community, a city, a state and a nation without a soul.
Coveting is truly the deadliest of sins. It destroys individuals and nations.
©Dr. Rich Swier. All rights reserved.