As you all know Florida has one of the highest illegal alien populations surpassed only by border states California and Texas costing us over $5,000,000,000.00 annually to educate, medicate and incarcerate them. Are you aware the State spends $1,600.00 more per illegal alien student annually to teach them to speak English? It is an unnecessary expense we suffer because of the lack of the Federal and state from enforcing the Rule of Law. It is a crime to enter the country, seek or accept employment if you are an illegal alien or over stay a visa.
In 2010 Rick Scott was elected with the promise he would make E-Verify mandatory so all Florida workers would be legal workers. He did install public E-Verify so supposedly all state agencies only deal with companies who use the voluntary system but he backed off forcing all employers to sign up. In 2012 he stated it was the Federal government’s responsibility and broke his promise to install mandatory E-Verify.
In 1986 Congress made three promises to President Reagan to get the only amnesty ever passed which turned out to be a promise broken several times. One of the promises was to make E-Verify mandatory for all businesses. The benefits of E-Verify would be to remove the job magnet for illegal aliens and visa over stayers, encourage illegal aliens and visa over stayers to self deport which in turn would lower various costs to residents.
Here it is thirty years later and Congress has still not passed E-Verify so only legal workers are employed. The illegal alien employed population is in the millions.
Last year Texas Representative Lamar Smith introduced the Legal Workforce Act H.R. 1147 which would require all companies to enroll in E-Verify so only legal workers are employed. He now has a total of 43 representatives, all republicans, co-sponsoring the legislation where it should have overwhelming support since it is designed to protect the representatives constituents who are employed.
Until very recently Florida did not have one co-sponsor of the bill. That is outrageous.
Representative Vern Buchanan of District 16 is the first representative from Florida to sign up. That leaves sixteen more Florida republican representatives, who should be vigorously supporting this legislation or be branded as “anti-American worker.” The list is below with their Washington numbers. Please take a minute, call and ask why the representative is not a co-sponsor of H.R. 1147?
Personally, I cannot think of a valid reason why they should not co-sponsor the legislation, can you?
If you wish to contact these Florida members of Congress here are the phone numbers:
- District one is Jeff Miller 202-225-4136,
- District three is Ted Yoho 202-335-5744,
- District four is Ander Crenshaw 202-225-2501,
- District six is Ron DeSantis 202-225-2706,
- District seven is John Mica 202-225-4035,
- District eight is Bill Posey 202-225-3671,
- District ten is Daniel Webster 202-225-2176,
- District eleven is Richard Nugent 202-225-1002,
- District twelve is Gus Bilarakis 202-225-5755,
- District thirteen is David Jolly 202-225-5691,
- District fifteen is Dennis Ross 202-225-1252,
- District sixteen is Vern Buchanan 202-225-5015,
- District seventeen is Tom Rooney 202-225-5792,
- District nineteen is Curt Clawson 202-225-2536,
- District twenty-five is Mario Diaz-Balart 202-225-4211,
- District twenty-six is Carlos Curbelo 202-225-2778
- District twenty -seven is Ileana Ros-Lehtinen 202-225-3931.