RLJ Companies on May 29th announced the results of a nationwide African American survey and corresponding nationwide survey of adults conducted by Zogby Analytics.
According to its website, “The RLJ Companies, founded by Robert L. Johnson, is an innovative business network that provides strategic investments in a diverse portfolio of companies…Prior to founding The RLJ Companies, Johnson was founder and chairman of Black Entertainment Television (BET).”
The surveys reveal current African American, and American adult sentiments on a range of issues that include the 2020 Presidential Election, opinions about national and current affairs, the Trump Presidency, race relations, and social issues. One thousand randomly selected African American adults nationwide and one thousand randomly selected American adults were polled by telephone and online survey.
According to the RLJ/Zogby survey:
- Only 42% of surveyed African Americans say they would vote for Joe Biden.
- African American support for Mr. Biden in the Democratic primary is driven by older voters.
- Biden has the support of over 50% of voters over 50.
- Only 29% of African Americans aged 18-29 support him.
- 16% of African Americans believe that the African American community is better off since Trump became President.
- 18% of African Americans said their personal finances are better off than before Trump became President.
- 33% of African Americans surveyed believe the Democratic Party should embrace socialism.
The top issue of African Americans is eliminating illegal police shootings of young black men. However, this issue is down 4% since 2016.
Terrorism/ISIS and immigration reform are top of mind issues with African American voters.