This attack should lead European authorities to realize that they’re in a war, and that it’s getting worse, and that they’re not winning, and that they need to undertake a drastic reassessment of their approach to this whole problem. But it probably won’t.
“Paris attack: Isis claims responsibility for shooting that left one police officer dead,” by Jon Sharman, Lucy Pasha-Robinson, and Katie Forster, Independent, April 20, 2017:
Extremist group releases statement saying attack was carried out by Belgian Isis fighter
A police officer has died and two are seriously wounded after a shooting near the Champs-Elysees boulevard in Paris.
Isis have claimed responsibility for the attack, in which the officer was said to have been killed while in a car stopped at a red light.
A report citing a police source said the person who fired on officers had been killed in turn. Officials said the suspect had previously been flagged as an extremist.
The Paris prosecutor’s office said it had identified the attacker and was looking into whether he acted alone. Raids are ongoing in the city, it was reported.
A police source said the shooting was very probably a “terrorist act”, according to Reuters, while other reports suggested robbery may have been the motive.
The French interior ministry said it was too early to judge the reason behind the attack, but a counter-terrorism inquiry has been opened.
‘It looks like another terrorist attack,’ says Trump of Paris shooting….
UPDATE: Police are searching for a suspect Youssouf El Osri, who arrived from Belgium on the Thalys train. #Paris #ChampsElysees
EDITORS NOTE: The Associated Press reports that French police have surrounded and searched the family home of Karim Cheurfi (aka Abu Yusuf al-Baljik), a 39-year-old with a police record, in relation to today’s attack. Cheurfi’s home is located in the town of Chelles.